Potton Town Councillor
An opportunity to be part of your community
A candidate for the Town Council is qualified if at the time of nomination, they are:
- a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any member state of the EU
- are at least 18 years of age
- meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
⋅ Is on the list of electors for the town or during the last twelve months you:
⋅ occupied land or property in Potton as owner or tenant.
⋅ had your principle place of work here.
⋅ lived in, or within three miles of Potton.
A Town Councillor is unpaid and gives their time for free to the community on a voluntary basis.
Any interested parties must make an application in writing to the Town Clerk, Mr Jonathan Whitehurst at Potton Town Council, The Community Centre, Brook End, Potton, Bedfordshire SG19 2QS by 9am on Tuesday 12th December 2023 and include the following information:
- reason for wishing to be a Councillor;
- previous Community/Council work;
- other skills you can bring to the Council.
For further information, please refer to the town council’s Co-Option procedure.
Please note it is a condition of a Councillor that a means of contact by telephone and/or email will be public information.
If you require any additional information, please contact the Town Clerk either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01767 260086.
Applications will be considered at the Town Council meeting on Tuesday 9th January 2024 following the Planning Committee meeting starting at 7pm.
Vacancies for Potton Youth Councillors
We believe that young people are the future of our communities and we feel it is important that we as a town council invest in them. Potton Town Council supports Potton Youth Council in achieving the following objectives:
• To develop a culture of participation in the democratic process and to develop an awareness of citizenship.
• Be empowered to take decisions and actions to improve the community they live in.
• Form partnerships with local and national organisations.
• Promote respect for each other and the community.
• Encourage all young people to have a voice and believe their views are valued.
If you would like to be a part of this exciting adventure you must fulfil the following criteria:
• Potton resident and / or attend a school and / or organisation in Potton.
• School Year 5–13.
• Have consent from a parent or guardian.
• Commit to attending meetings.
If you can satisfy all of the above and are still interested, please complete the application form along with the parent/guardian consent form, which you can download here. Please send to Mrs Claire Massey, Clerical Assistant, Potton Town Council, The Community Centre, Brook End, Potton, Bedfordshire SG19 2QS or email to email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Vacancy for a Newsletter Delivery Round
Potton Town Council produces four newsletters each year, which are delivered to every household in Potton.
We currently have vacancies for newsletter delivery rounds and we are interested in hearing from 13-18 year olds who would like to deliver our newsletter for us. The rate of pay is £20 for 300 delivered newsletters, pro-rata.
Please note: The procedure for applying for a work permit has now changed.
The Town Council – as the employer – is now required to apply for the work permit and required to provide:
- A signed letter from a parent/guardian confirming they’re happy with the employment.
- Child’s details e.g. name, address, telephone etc
- Parents details e.g. name, contact information
- School details e.g. name, contact information
Please contact the town council office on 01767 260086 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.